Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Confessions of a Real Post Grad: Michelle Parker

I will be interviewing different post grads to document their journey, give advice, learn from their triumphs and mistakes and so other post grads know they aren't alone. I will be talking to those lucky few who got their dream job right after their degree or those who went in a completely different direction than they had planned.

1. Explain to readers where and when you graduated, your degree and your current job/schooling.

I graduated in May of 2010 from a private university in the Midwest. I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and a Bachelor of Arts in Management. I'm currently working on my Finance MBA and will be done this August! Besides schooling, I also work full-time as a financial analyst and have had this job since I graduated with my undergraduate degrees.

2. You just described your current situation, is this where you thought you'd be as a post grad? Explain.

Honestly, I wasn't sure where I'd be after I graduated. I dreamed of traveling the world, but I bought a house 3 years ago and with that comes the reality of paying the bills. However, I do love my job though and enjoy the people that I work with.


3. What is your dream job?

My dream job would include me being successful in the financial services field. I'm very interested in trusts and estates, and would enjoy to continue doing this.

4. What is the best thing about being a post grad?
The best thing would be not having homework! Once I am done with my Finance MBA, it will be nice to have extra time. Between working 45 hours a week, about 10 hours of commuting and classes 12 hours a week, there's no time for anything!

5. What is the worst?

The worst would be... Well I honestly can't think of anything. I would say growing up, but I moved out at the age of 18 and have always paid my own bills. So college life and being graduated actually aren't that different for me.

6. What advice do you have for recent post grads?

My advice would be to set a realistic budget for yourselves. You will definitely be tempted to spend a lot of your bigger paychecks, but you might have student loans and other debt to pay first! Also dream big and try to negotiate your salary and benefits if you have the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment