Thursday, May 24, 2012

Confessions of a Real Post Grad: Jeanette Bravo

I will be interviewing different post grads to document their journey, give advice, learn from their triumphs and mistakes and so other post grads know they aren't alone. I will be talking to those lucky few who got their dream job right after their degree or those who went in a completely different direction than they had planned.

1. Explain to readers where and when you graduated, your degree and your current job/schooling.

This month, I graduated from the Hugh Downs School of Human Communication at Arizona State University. I graduated with a bachelors of arts in communication with minors in tourism development and management as well as special events management. In addition, I graduated with a certificate in convention sales and meeting planning.

2. You just described your current situation, is this where you thought you'd be as a post grad? Explain. 

Four years ago, I either wanted to be a teacher or a communications/special events director for a non-profit. Going into college, I wasn't sure of which pathway to choose but I believe that my 18-year-old self would be proud of the courses I took and the accomplishments I've made. In some perspective, this is where I would have hoped to be.

3. What is your dream job?

My dream job is a career where I can experience the best of both worlds. To me, that is a career that includes both communication-based work as well as special events management. The wide variety of workplace settings that I would enjoy include higher education, a non-profit organization, a tourism-related pr agency or an airline.

4. What is the best thing about being a post grad?

The best thing about being a post grad is making all your hard work pay off through a job that you love. Moreover, it's fun to see my peers accomplish their career goals around the country.

5. What is the worst? 

The worst thing about being a post grad is my transition from a crazy schedule to a normal one. I was quite in involved in college with various organizations, a job, internship, class, and I enjoyed going out on the weekends. Okay, weekdays can be included, but now my schedule is completely different where I feel like I have to fill up my time.

6. What advice do you have for recent post grads?

Don't feel obligated that you have to join the whole "let's completely freak out about finding a job before I graduate" club. If you are able to financially and if your industry of interest is broad enough, I think that you should search for a job that you completely love rather than one that you just like.

No comments:

Post a Comment