Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Confessions of a Real Post Grad: Colleen Godlewski

I will be interviewing different post grads to document their journey, give advice, learn from their triumphs and mistakes and so other post grads know they aren't alone. I will be talking to those lucky few who got their dream job right after their degree or those who went in a completely different direction than they had planned.

1. Explain to readers where and when you graduated, your degree and your current job/schooling.

I graduated from Oakland University in December 2011 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication. Currently, I work at an upscale family-owned dance studio as a Sales & Event Coordinator.


2. You just described your current situation, is this where you thought you'd be as a post grad?

Upon graduation, I assumed I would send out a ton of resumes and find a full time job within the corporate sector of communications at a prosperous company. I was working at the studio while I was attending college, and I have been promoted since but it is still not the full-time position that I strive for. I used to have a clear picture of what my dream job would be but now, it would be a dream come true to find something that puts my degree to use, full-time, with benefits within the state of Michigan. It looks more and more impossible as the days drag on.

3. What is the best thing about being a post grad?

The best thing about being a post grad is actually having some sort of experience when applying for jobs. The degree itself gives you something to rely on. And also, the extra time (that you once would have spent in class) is nice and helps clear your schedule.

4. What is the worst?

The worst thing about being a post grad is the money struggle. Paying back loans is the worst, especially when you haven't found your perfect career yet.


5. What advice do you have for recent post grads?

My advice to post grads is to keep your head up, continue to make as many professional connections as you can and create a flawless resume that employers will have to look twice at.

No comments:

Post a Comment