Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When Do You Stop Being a Post Grad?

It has been over a year since I've graduated college, but I still consider myself a post grad. Which leads me to the question: when do you stop being a post grad? When you land a full-time job? When you get any sort of job? A year after you graduate? Two years?

For some twenty somethings, the post grad title can be somewhat of a security blanket. If they identify as a post grad, they don't feel as if they have to have the perfect career yet. It allows some time to figure things out.

I think you can rid yourself of the post grad title when you feel you're good and ready. Now, five years after you graduate when you're in a "real job" I don't think you can really call yourself a post grad, but for a few years after college when you're figuring your life out, I think it is appropriate.

Just don't use the post grad title as an excuse. Some twenty somethings may use it as an out if they don't feel like entering "the real world". Work hard, job search and network until you find your dream job. Once you're settled in, I think you can officially call yourself a working adult.

When do you think you stop being a post grad?

No comments:

Post a Comment