Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Powerful Questions to Help You Cope with Rejection

One of my favorite quotes is by the author James Allen. In his book, As a Man Thinketh, he writes “circumstances do not make the man, they only reveal him to himself.” When I first heard this quote, its simplicity and truth floored me (though, I must admit, I do prefer more gender-neutral prose). I feel this quote particularly resonates with the job-search process. Some people are able to bounce back from rejection very quickly; others can struggle for weeks…or even longer. The sting of rejection will always exist when we are denied something that we are truly passionate about, but our choices and our thoughts dictate our next actions. If you are willing to commit to a new course of action other than wallowing in the mire of self-pity, use the questions below to guide yourself to more productive outcomes.

What wasn’t I willing to do?

If I am feeling down, on what date will I decide to be productive again?

What about my present circumstances bring me joy?

What are three distinct things I can take away from this experience?

What did I do correctly that I will do again in the future?

What feedback can I receive to improve myself in the interview process?

What new goals do I want to set for myself?

Now that I have shared some of my powerful questions, what are some of yours that help bring you back to center after being rejected in the job-search process?

No comments:

Post a Comment